The plans to build a shed are the motivating factors that are driven by your imagination. In this session, we are going to cover 2 shed plans in detail. The first one is a simple one that gives you the complete guidelines for the development of a tool-room. The same concept is when applied in a bit more elaborative in nature, can be used to create a car garage shed as well. The first aspect you have to take care is planning of space. This will be forming the corner stone upon which you will be able to develop your other plans and designs. The next stage would be material planning. Once these two are ready, you can move on to the equipment and tools planning. The final stage would be the construction plan. When you go through my shed plans review, make it a point to note down all the critical, major and minor elements in detail. Now, we are going to implement all these plans in our sample project.
Initially, you will have to decide the shed size. If it is going to be an in-house shed, you will need to consider the size of your garage or the attic space within which you are going to fit your shed. Of course, the equation would become a bit more flexible, if your shed is an outdoor facility.
- Consider the total area covered by your proposed shed. The first parameter you have to consider is the entrance entry and exit options. The transition space should be easily accessible. Once you are through with this, consider the windows for good ventilation. Now, you have to think of the storage-space. If your shed requires additional space for storing tools and equipments, you will have to make additional shelves. This could be done by utilizing the existing space within the shed.
- Add sliding shelves that could be dismantled and reassembled. This will also economize the available space and you get maximum benefits.
- Add vertical and horizontal racking to make room for the extra material that you may get to store. Your shed is a unique storing place for used and unused articles. Some of the articles may be useful today or tomorrow. The others could be used rarely and some of them may never be sued at all. But you can’t be too judgmental while allocating space for each item, in your shed. If you are finding it difficult to segregate, you can use a simple V.E.D analysis. The Vital items are given the top priority and the essential & desirable items follow suit.
- Add some free moving space for at least one individual. Without this, even your large size shed will be literally converted into a huge rack out of which you can take out nothing, just because you are unable to access your shed!
- At the end of space planning, you have come up with the actual dimensions of your shed, both interior and exterior.
- After having made the space plan, it is the turn of material planning. If you are making a shed for your personal use, you could save a lot by re-using the materials from your old almairah, a wooden rack or any other design which you have used and thrown. You can check your home; garage or attic to find some used shelving materials, wooden chests from old and broken drawers etc. Just check if any of these can be adapted in the “AS it is” condition. If you have an old utility-room, you can find lots of wooden-pieces, you can make use of them to reduce your overall costing. If you are unable to find all the wooden materials, you can buy them from your nearest used wooden warehouse also.
- Tools and equipment planning comes next in your listing. Once you have assembled all the required materials, you will get an idea about the required tools and equipments. Here also, you will be able to check out the existing tools that you may re use. If the equipment or tool is unavailable, you can always procure them from your nearest hardware store.
- Accessories, spare parts and usable resources would be the most critical planning. Here, you are assessing the quantity of glue, adhesives, screws and nuts etc. the consumable items could be listed separately and bought out. Before, buying any consumables, make sure their specifications and dimensions are exactly in accordance with your initial design.
- Next will be your construction plan. You will be executing your design construction, based on the final blue-print of your shed-design. Just follow the step by step procedure as explained in the reviews and the guide.
Now, you will need to take care of the basics. Lighting and ventilation are very important aspects which you cannot afford to ignore. You always will have to ensure that sufficient lighting is provided within the shed. A good overhead lighting is always an added advantage. Make sure that the flooring is made non-slippery. There should be sufficient space left for cleaning. If you are using tiles within the shed, make sure that they are cleaned and arranged in order. Clear all eh cluttered work and storage spaces and you have to make room for additional items as and when required. If you could accommodate folding and stacking racks, you will be able to get additional space within the existing shed.
Once your shed is ready for use, you could easily covert the shed into a multi-store room with some modifications. Always make it a point to bin your rack numbers in order. You could also have a list of rack numbers along with a brief description of the items you have stored in these racks.
Painting and decorative planning could be done based on your convenience and the budget. Once you have ensured the critical and vital elements, the desirable parameters like painting and warnish could be taken up at the end of your shed plan.